Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Back by not so popular demand

So there really are people besides my mother who read this blog! Thanks for the recent messages urging me to get writing again (all three of them). Life has been lots of fun since I've last posted which has left me little time for the computer. The fun has brought some friends to Chattanooga including my best friend from college Michelle and her kids, and also my best friend from Scotland, Agnes. Yes, the one my car is named after. I'll try to post some pictures of our adventures but I always seem to hit some snags doing that.

In the meantime, here is my funny little adventure today. I can barely handle Walmart since returning to America for a myriad of reasons, but mostly because it is just too overwhelming. Today I was acquiesced to stop at Wallyworld to pick up envelopes and address labels for Christmas cards. The alternative was going out to the Hamilton Place Mall area which, at this time of year, I call "Hamilton Hell". While I walked the ailes with a glazed over look on my face I suddenly remembered that I needed to buy toothpaste. This was all too exciting because I have been waiting to buy toothpaste for months. The last time I bought some at the grocery in Glasgow there was a two for one deal and the same boring flavor has lasted me most of the year. A couple months ago I had to pick up some toothpaste for Stacy at the store and was amazed at the choices. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but I've been looking forward to buying a particular brand and flavor of toothpaste for a couple months.

So today was the big day for buying toothpaste. To say I was completely overwhelmed in the toothpaste aisle is an understatement. There were way too many brands and flavors and I could not find what I wanted - the very toothpaste I had picked out months ago. I was in shock that one store could have so many kinds of toothpaste and as I stood in awe I began to count the different containers! I stopped when I got to 119! I had yet to count the kids flavors and the special denture stuff. There was another woman there who was obviously very overwhelmed as well. She turned and me some magazine said that Colgate's Luminous Enamel Strengthening toothpaste was rated the very best so that is what she was getting. So I got it too. Now my teeth will be luminous and my breath will smell like Crystal Clean Mint! I really hope this is the last "I'm back in America learning how to shop again...." experience I will have. They have big stores in Britain. It's just that nothing compares to Wallyworld. 119. All I needed was one.

PS. Since I just checked this with spell check, I now know how to spell toothpaste. There is no "e" in the middle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I have your blog on my Google reader page and check it EVERY SINGLE DAY! Yay for you blogging again!

And don't feel bad - those of us who didn't spend two years away from Wally World and go there probably once a week still get overwhelmed by the toothpaste aisle.

I miss seeing you!